Sunday, October 26, 2008

Prawns in coconut sauce, Indonesian style


The past two weeks spent in Singapore has been very intense for the stomach, as I tried to enjoy as much good foods as I could everyday, to the extent of indigestion and puking. I didn't cook a single dish eventually, blissfully blaming the faulty oven. Actually, I was happy to relive all the foods I missed, especially hawker fare and Japanese foods, and of course, the home cooking of Enda who is from Indonesia. Inspired by her, I am richer by 2 new Indonesian cookbooks back here, among the 6 cookbooks I brought back.

Keen to start using new spices brought back from Singapore (which are all available in Wellington's Asian grocery stores, but 2-4 times more expensive than in Singapore, which are already costing more than in Indonesia), my Indonesian culinary experience began with prawns.

Prawns in Hot Coconut Sauce (Sambal Petai Udang)
200g medium prawns
2 pods stinkbeans (petai) (optional)
1 cup thin coconut milk
1 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced (optional)
1 tbspoon tamarind juice
salt to taste
crispy fried shallots to garnish

Spice paste
1-2 red chillies, deseeded
2 shallots, peeled
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 teaspoon dried shrimp paste (trasi), dry-roasted

I've given up on frying my own crispy fried shallots, opting instead to buy the ready made ones. But if you want to try it, peel shallots thinly, and pat dry with paper towels. Heat oil in wok over medium low heat and stir fry until golden brown or crispy for 3-5 minutes. I always tend to use too little oil and burn the shallots.

I didn't use the stinkbeans, so not sure how they taste.

In making the spice paste, grind all ingredients to a smooth paste in a mortar or blender, adding a little oil if necessary to keep the mixture turning. My alternative to the lack of shrimp paste and chillies is to use ready made sambal chilli sauce, and pound with the shallots and garlic.

Heat oil in wok over medium heat and fry the spice paste until fragrant, for 3-5 minutes. Add the stinkbeans if using, and coconut milk and bring to boil. A word on coconut milk, if using canned ones, dilute about 2 parts water to 1 part coconut cream.

Add sliced potatoes, carrots, chillies and tamarind juice and mix well. Bring ingredients to boil again and simmer until vegetables are cooked and the sauce has thickened. Add prawns and simmer until prawns are cooked. Season with sugar and salt. Serve hot with steamed rice.

I think my first attempt in making this dish leaves much room for improvement, but it tastes good nonetheless.

Recipe from Authentic Recipes from Indonesia by Heinz von Holzen and Lother Arsana.

No comments:

 
visits