Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Enda's Pineapple Tarts

 
What's Chinese New Year without the yummy homemade golden pineapple tarts. That's exactly what I'm missing this year.

I'm not the pickiest when it comes to pineapple tarts, but they are best when homemade. Many expert homecooks have their own secret recipes and I don't think we can easily say who makes the best pineapple tarts. Everyone have their favourites, and I have many. Like the fresh from the oven ones I chanced upon in Melaka years ago, the ones made by the mom-in-law of my 7th aunt which my family enjoys gratefully yearly, and then, Enda makes them every year with smashing success. She seems to vary her recipe every year. And this being the first Chinese New Year when I'm not back home in Singapore, she suggested I make my own pineapple tarts to satisfy my craving, and gave me her new easy-to-make recipe.

I haven't had time to make it yet, but looking forward to trying it out sometime when I feel less lazy. Afterall, even if the dough and filling may be fast to prepare, it is still quite tedious to have to make each and every little pillow of pastry look perfect. Meanwhile, I'm recording the recipe below so that I don't lose it.

Enda's Homemade Pineapple Tarts

Pineapple filling:
1 big pineapple
about 200g sugar
1 cinnamon stick

Tart dough:
1kg plain flour
500g butter
8 egg yolks
 
1 egg yolk for glazing
 
Make the pineapple filling first. With 1big pineapple, blend until like juice then cook in pot. Add 200g sugar, and more to your taste if needed. Add one cinnamon stick and cook until the mixture is dry.

While the pineapple filling is cooking, prepare the tart dough. Using an electric mixer, mix butter, sugar and eggs yolk together until well mixed. After that use your hand to mix in the plain flour until the mixture resembles a tart dough.

To make the pastry, pinch some dough off and roll with your hands into a small ping pong ball shape. Flatten and spoon some pineapple filling, and close it up. Repeat until the dough or filling is used up.

Brush the top of the pastry with a beaten egg yolk (or milk). Bake in a preheated oven for ?? (she forgot to give me the oven temperature and time, so got to check with her again).
 

3 comments:

muchadoabouteating said...

My recipe calls for milk powder. Thought that it is not practical to buy a tin just for pineapple tarts everyday. Next year I shall try yours out.

Rémi and Fangie said...

Milk powder sounds nice. I remember liking the pineapple tarts from Smiling Orchids from years ago and they used milk powder too.

Chor Ee said...

So glad that I've the luxury to eat homemade pineapple tarts this CNY :) I used to help my mum in making this and conclusion is the more helper the merrier. Cos it's rather tedious to make 50 or 100s of them all by yourself!

 
visits