Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The day I jumped off the cliff



I don't mean suicide of course. Life is too beautiful to end it prematurely, especially when I'm enjoying almost every minute of it (especially when I'm on holidays).

Well, I've made up my mind to jump from the cliff, literally, before going to France. Since I'm planning a visit to the Alps, and a country full of paragliders, tandem paragliding would be a good, easy and relaxing way to enjoy the mountain scenery.

Truth is, the height does freak me out initially. But there's always a first time and I've always harbour a secret desire to jump off a helicopter next by trying sky diving. So the plan is fixed and there's no turning back.

Standing at the edge of the cliff where I'm about to jump does make legs feel wobbly at first. It's no joke, considering that it's a steep drop of probably a thousand metres high.

The instructor was reassuring, telling me that I do not even have to sprint to catch the wind. True enough, after "walking" a few steps with him, we were lifted onto the sky within seconds, before reaching the edge of the cliff. Soon enough, my feet were already running in the air and I was comfortably seated in the parapente, securely strapped to the instructor. The village and valley came in full view underneath me, while we glide effortlessly along the cliff of the mountain for close to half an hour, aided by the stream of ascending wind blowing against the mountain edge.

"Wow, you've really got the most wonderful job", I exclaimed to my instructor, who couldn't agree less. Putting all fears of height behind me, I was soon busy clicking my camera away, totally awed by the thrill of being in the air.


The last few minutes of my flight adventure was to give me further new sensations when my instructor decided to let me experience freestyle paragliding. Without any warning, the world was suddenly spinning at full speed around me. Thankfully, the spinning didn't last long (but the effects of it did not wear off immediately).

Hmmm...I wouldn't mind taking up paragliding lessons next time.

No comments:

 
visits