Monday, August 03, 2009

Not slacking on desserts


After one week of dessert deprivation in Tonga, followed by another week of after dinner yoghurt due to post holiday rest, we're back to our rigourous dessert régime.

Saturday's lunch dessert was rhubarb tart, with lots of butter going into the crust, and tablespoons of sugar dumped into the rhubarb. Dinner's dessert was some leftover Chinese sago layered cake with red bean paste filling, not quite a success but not to be wasted.



On Sunday night, Rémi made choux pastry for the first time (for the record, I've tried making choux pastry several times years ago with mixed results) while I busied myself with cooking assam fish for dinner. So we're having profiteroles for 3 consecutive meals and still counting.

Have we put on weight? Thankfully not. I'm still a comfortable distance from 50kg and Rémi is still way below 70kg. And no, we don't pump irons in gyms to maintain our waistline as well.

Despite having enjoyed more desserts than I ever had in Singapore, I seem to have an easier time keeping my weight constant. I think eating more homecooked meals really helps.

I do a fair bit of Chinese cooking at home every week, simply because it requires less research for me, less hassle and also healthier. Well, Chinese food in takeaways are very oily and often deep fried. But homecooked Chinese food is more about soups, steamed fish, stir fried meat or vegetables with plain rice.

And of course, portion control every meal, so that we can always have space left for dessert.

How about snacking? That's kept to minimum, and I'm now resolved to snack only on fruits. Mandarins make a fine snack by the way.

No comments:

 
visits