Thursday, January 22, 2009

Experimenting with Chocolate Macarons



I haven't been keen on trying out macarons for a long long time, despite requests to do so. Yes, they are very French. And they look so daintily pretty and dainty looking desserts are not something I am good at. I do not also like to use food colouring. I am averse to eating food that looks too artificially coloured, and sometimes go to the extreme of pinching away that little red dot that marks a char siew bun.

Finally, my deeply frozen egg whites were calling out to me to use them, and I bravely decided to attempt making macarons all on my own. I faithfully stuck to the recipe and instructions by David Lebovitz, an American pastry chef in Paris, whose blog I've enjoyed reading since discovering it.

It was tedious and messy to pipe out the paste without a proper pastry bag and tip, especially without my chief food licker to help clean up the remaining batter stuck to bowls and spoons. As seen from the photo, my attempt wasn't too successful either. All of them cracked when they should not be, and they didn't have the 'foot'. As each oven has its own quirks and temperament, I may have overbaked one minute too long or 10 degrees too hot. So my macarons weren't crispy outside and soft inside, as I think it should have been (but I can't really remember how it should be, this is going to be on my list of things to eat for my upcoming trip to France). For the filling, I used this delicious honey and hazelnut spread bought during our South Island trip.

I also discovered that the most original macarons come from Nancy region, made by nuns. Camille's cookbook has a recipe, and I'm still contemplating whether to make it today with my remaining 2 egg whites.

3 comments:

huileng said...

oh, you finally made the attempt. Perhaps by the time we get to see each another again, you would have perfected the it!

Anonymous said...

yeah, i was waiting for you to make it...the ones available in s'pore are flatter and more burger-like in shape...not sure what the authentic ones in france look like...i'm sure remi and you will know better

Anonymous said...

I'm not really sure how often I'm going to make this type of macarons. as often as I have spare egg whites maybe.

Just tried making Nancy Macarons, simpler steps but less fancy looking. Will see how they turn out later.

 
visits