Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mushroom and Blue Cheese Pasta


When I was a kid, I knew only two types of cheese: Kraft and Cheesedale Cheese. Both are cheddar cheese, but it doesn't matter. I had enjoyed a slice on my toast, with tuna, in burgers, on the Jacobs cream crackers, or just on its own. As I grew older, I learned that Mozzarella and Parmesan are good for pasta and pizzas. And there's this Philadelphia cheese that I made my cheesecake with.

French food culture is as much about cheese, as it is about wine. So you can imagine that there's a very steep learning curve for me in terms of cheese, and I may be able to rattle off only a dozen more names of cheese at most. My lame attempt in understanding cheese led me to buying this book titled "The World Encyclopedia of Cheese" a few years back.

While I have barely read its informative explanation of different varieties of cheeses, I have found this blue cheese pasta sauce that Rémi tried and we enjoyed last night. We did not use Gorgonzola as suggested by the recipe, but with another type of blue cheese produced locally. New Zealand is afterall a cow and sheep country.

Bon apetit!

Mushroom and Blue Cheese Pasta

Pasta

Sauce:
Olive oil
Fresh mushrooms (about 150g)
1 garlic clove, crushed
100ml cream
100g blue cheese (eg Gorgonzola), crumbled
salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
chopped walnuts

Cook pasta according to packet instructions.

Heat oil in pan and sauté the mushrooms for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes.

Stir in the cream, bring to boil and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cheese but do not boil. Adjust consistency of sauce with water, according to your own preference. Season and toss with cooked pasta.

To serve, toss in the walnuts and parsley.

Those who can't stand the strong smell of blue cheese can happily omit it from this recipe, as mushroom and cream still go well together. It's just like having wanton noodles without wantons.

No comments:

 
visits