Monday, January 12, 2009

My first tart - Tomato and Olive


It's not a joke. Despite having posted so many tart and quiche recipes, I've not made the tart dough myself thus far. What you've seen (I mean the shell) were all done by Rémi.

So, last Friday, I surprised Rémi with my first tart (or rather quiche). I had wanted to cook a simple dinner in advance, so tart/quiche is one of the best option. And preparing the tart dough turned out to be pretty easy. Requires two additional step than crumble, that is, to gather all the crumbs together to knead into a dough (very fast), and to roll out.

The tomato and olive quiche (the recipe calls it a tart) comes from a newly acquired cookbook "Appetizers, Finger Food, Buffets and Parties", but the same publisher as my ultimate fish cookbook. Also same as my chocolate and coffee cookbook (I seem to be collecting the whole series, having another soup cookbook as well). It's recommended for picnics and buffets, and you can also make a rectangular one to make it easier to divide into portions.

And not surprisingly, tomatoes and black olives go well together.

Tomato and Black Olive Quiche
serves two

half pâte brisée tart dough (I froze the other half and uses a small tart tin)
1 egg, beaten
100ml milk
1 tbsp fresh basil (or parsley)
2 plum tomatoes
2 tbsp cheese, into small cubes (I used feta, but would have loved to try with blue cheese or camembert)
olives, pitted
salt and ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.

Prepare tart dough. Roll onto prepared tin and poke with fork. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked.

To make the filling, beat eggs with milk, seasoning and herbs. Slice tomatoes and olives. Add to the cooked tart and pour over the egg mixture.

Bake in oven for about 40 minutes, until the filling is golden and just firm.

No comments:

 
visits